I took my Coupe around the neighborhood
for "one more ride" to assess the sound
I have been hearing for some time. About a mile from home,
the sound went from what I had been hearing to a hellacious
BANGBANGBANGBANG ... obviously something had "let loose"
inside. The consensus at the Honda
is that a rod
broke. Of course this means that other things are probably
trashed as well. Thanks to AAA, I got the Coupe home without
It will be necessary to take the engine out,
take it apart and see what bits fall out of it. I was going to do
that anyway, and literally days before the "last ride", I bought a
recently-rebuilt engine from a Honda group listmember. It's a
sedan engine, and as such does not have a place to attach the tach, but
I will deal with that challenge after I get it in the Coupe and running.
So far I have done nothing more than remove the exhaust header and heat
exchanger from the "new" engine, get them sandblasted and paint them
with a hi-temp black paint. Seeing as it is 30 degrees in my
garage and icy outside, things are going to move slowly for a
while. I have received much good advice from the groups and hope
to implement the plans soon. If you have a honda 600 coupe or
sedan engine-swap story,
warning, bit of advice or suggestion, by all means, email me!
After a long winter of waiting I got a few days of decent
Using chapter 3 of the Coupe manual (downloadable here
) and Bill
Colford's tips pages (found here
I got the engine out. I wanted to take
pictures to document the event as it happened, but underestimated the
difficulty of handling a digital still camera while covered in 32 years
of engine grime! Here is the Coupe after the fact - and yes, more
fell since that day. Maybe in a few weeks I can resume...
Ready for install - waiting to borrow the neighbor's
The engine, installed and running!
Back to the main page